Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Do you have to speak fluent Japanese to go to a Japanese school in Japan


Do you have to speak fluent Japanese to go to a Japanese school in Japan?
I'm a sophomore in high school. I am half Japanese, but I can't speak nor understand it. I only could speak Thai because my grandfather and grandmother lived with me for 8 years when I was little, and they spoke Thai to me. So I adapted it. My grandmother (not the Thai one) lives in Japan and I was planning to go live with her and attend the rest of my high school year there. My parents approved, but I haven't made up my mind yet because I was afraid that I won't be able to understand what my classmates are saying or what the teacher is saying. I may not be able to read what ever lesson we are learning. Do I have to learn Japanese to attend?
Other - Education - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, I would imagine that yes, the majority of the lessons will be taught in Japanese. I would recommend trying to go to one of the schools there that are specifically for students from other countries. Japanese is a pretty difficult language to learn - maybe you should devote a year or two studying it and then finish up your high school career there? Hope this helped!
2 :
I don't believe so. My best friend's niece went to Japan her senior year of high school (about 3 years ago) and I know she didn't speak Japanese. I am not sure what program she attended but I can find out. I know that she learned some Japanese while she lived there but it was just for one semester. I also know she stayed with a Japanese family while she was there. I guess it was like an exchange program and she had to raise quite a bit of money to go.
Read more discussion :