Friday, May 8, 2009

I am an American College Student, and I want to go to Grad School in Japan. What should I do


I am an American College Student, and I want to go to Grad School in Japan. What should I do?
Hi everyone! I am currently a third year university student, and I have been studying abroad in Nagoya since September 09. I return back to the United States in June to finish my last year of college and graduate in May 2011. I am East Asian Studies Major. I decided after coming here, that I definitely want to live and work in Japan, specifically Nagoya. I actually want to teach English, but I heard that without a masters degree, it would be difficult to do anything besides English conversation school. While doing a masters in the US would probably be easier, doing so would most likely cause my current Japanese skill level to decrease, and I would be separated from my friends and girlfriend for over two years.... (No thanks! =( Does anyone know about what steps I should take to apply for a graduate school in Japan? I am really not sure what to do, and I am at a loss. I am in Japan for another three months and I want to try and take as much knowledge back with me as I can. Also I have JLPT-2 ( I heard you need 1?)
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You're studying at a uni in Nagoya now, correct? Make an appointment to speak to someone in post-graduate admissions at your current university, or at another local uni if yours doesn't have a post-grad program. Discuss the process they require for foreign applicants. You also need to consider how you're going to pay for this foreign degree. Certain types of US financial aid won't be available to you, if you study overseas for the degree. But others will. You'll need to investigate all that. You *absolutely* can do your studies in Japan, but it's going to take some research on your part. In addition, you'll most likely need to return to the US in order to apply for the correct type of student visa. You can speak to someone at the American consulate in Japan, and they can give you guidance on that. They may even have the info on their website.
2 :
Well, if you need federal student aid (loans) in order to complete your study, you could study at Temple University in Tokyo. http://www.tuj.ac.jp/degree_programs/index.html
Read more discussion :